Pages

24 Weeks



24 Weeks

I can proudly say that I am not afraid of the labour section of pregnancy.
In my head from the moment I fell pregnant I have had the same thought about giving birth and that is ‘you can’t stop the labour from happening so why be scared of it’. I can imagine a lot of women have wished, begged and tried to stop the labour from happening but as much as everyone tries it is going nowhere. We do not suffer with weak bladder, sickness and indigestion for 9 months to not get the reward at the end. 

For the past 5 years I have suffered with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and in that time I have easily suffered with the worst pain I have yet to go through. The pain is all in my lower abdominal which I can imagine is a very similar place to child birth.

Going through the pain of IBS I now know and so does Baby Daddy how I deal with (in my opinion) extreme pain and hopefully this will help for child birth. Firstly the pain comes in waves much like contractions, the tight, stomach punching pain can last between 30 seconds and 2 minutes and will then ease for a couple of minutes and it can go on like that for hours sometimes.

Going through these waves of pain I get extremely hot and need a wet cold flannel on the back of my neck to keep me cool, I will also strip of all clothes as they make me feel even hotter and very claustrophobic. I find the part of my body that gets the hottest is my feet and they swell (which is always lovely). This is one point I will definitely mention to the midwife’s as I will over heat and probably strip down.

The second thing I will mention to the midwife’s is that I deal with the pain quite internally and like to breathe through it and once the wave of pain has gone or subsided that is when I normally will talk to Baby Daddy and ask him for a new cold flannel or some water. I personally don’t think I am going to be a screamer as I do like to breathe through it and count in my head.

The worst thing I feel about my IBS pain is that I am not too sure on what my body is about to do and this is what mentally scares me especially when I am on my own. Sometimes I don’t know if I am going to be sick, pass out or poo myself! (All 3 of these things have happened, thankfully not at the same time). The one thing about giving birth is I know what my body is trying to do so hopefully fingers crossed this keeps my head in a good place and I won’t be too scared and plus I have Baby Daddy and a trained team on hand to help me with anything I need.

Hopefully going through the pain of IBS for the past 5 years will help me understand not necessarily the pain I will feel giving birth but how I will deal with the pain. It will also help those around me if I explain that I get very hot, don’t like my feet being touched and go quiet. Let’s wait and see what happens in 16 weeks’ time.

Baby Mumma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment